Tax Manager - Hybrid role!
Houston, TX 77046 US
The Tax Manager will actively participate in the development of the corporate tax department to ensure compliance with federal and state tax reporting requirements and ASC740 Accounting for Income Taxes. Overview on role:
- Play an active role in the development of tax planning strategies, including those related to changing tax laws and regulations as well as available tax credits and exemptions.
- Identify, evaluate and consult with tax advisors to best position the company with respect to tax planning strategies.
- Ensure the company maintains up-to-date tax expertise and awareness of federal, state and international tax laws and their impact on the company.
- Perform tax research, including a comprehensive review of tax issues and completion of written memorandums with recommended course of action;
- Implement and manage corporate tax policies and procedures to ensure company-wide compliance.
- Collaborate with Tax Analyst, accounting/finance and business personnel to identify potential exposures or process deficiencies and implement solutions.
- Maintain strong relationship with external auditors. Interface with outside tax consultants (accounting and tax counsel) and other professional associates related to all tax audit matters.
- Work with the Tax Analyst to ensure that all tax records, reconciliations and workpapers are properly maintained to defend tax returns in the event of tax audits, including those related to Federal income tax and state/local tax
- Participate in tax audits, including the coordination of information and research of tax issues, making recommendations to management;
- Assisting with the preparation and review of responses to various State and Federal Tax notices
- Tax compliance - Provide oversight and coordination of all aspects for the annual preparation of tax returns
- Review and supervise assist Tax Analyst with preparation of tax information for federal corporate income tax returns.
- Review and supervise assist Tax Analyst with preparation of Apportionment data for state income and franchise tax returns.
- Review of drafts and final Federal Income, State income and franchise tax returns.
- Review Work and supervise Tax Analyst with tax depreciation system, analyzing depreciation and gain/loss computations.
- Work closely Tax Analyst with other business functions to efficiently obtain required tax data and work to simplify/automate tax reporting processes and procedures.
- Ensure proper application of ASC 740 and other tax accounting pronouncements, including those related to uncertain tax positions.
- Lead and coordinate with Tax Analyst all aspects of quarterly and annual accounting for income taxes, state/local taxes, and related financial reporting.
- Review quarterly tax provisions, reconcile current and deferred taxes, and complete schedules for year-end audited statements.
- Ensure compliance with the financial close cycle calendar in coordination with accounting personnel.
- Assisting with other projects as necessary
Tax Manager Qualifications
- Education Requirement: Bachelor’s degree in Accounting required.
- CPA is preferred.
- Experience: At least 8 years of related experience in federal and/or state income tax in working with a corporate tax department or Big 4 public accounting firm.
- Strong understanding of U.S. tax laws, BEAT, 163(j), FDII, and IRA Tax Credits, Transfer Pricing.
- Proficient tax research skills are also required
- Experience with new Tax Reform concepts such as BEAT, 163(j), FDII, etc. is a plus.
- Knowledge of SAP accounting software desirable;
- Working knowledge of tax compliance software (OneSource and/or CorpTax)
Meet The Recruiter
Molly Gutierrez, CPC
Direct Hire Recruiting Manager
My recruiting specialty starts from the top down, allowing me to work with everyone from C-level Executives to Entry Level graduates within the Accounting, Finance, and Supply Chain arenas.
I’ve been with Burnett Specialists since 2012, and I love finding the right fit for both my clients and candidates!