Senior Mechanical Engineer - Chemical Manufacturing
Exton, PA 19341 US
Senior Mechanical Engineer – Channelview
- The job position is a process engineer for a 23MM lbs per year Polybutadiene Facility, located at the manufacturing site.
- Responsible for mechanical technical support of the PolyBD unit and other activities related to owned assets; monitor/track unit/equipment performance, Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, PI Process Book, SAP, Documentum
- The position provides daily support and input to monitor, measure, optimize and improve equipment operations
- Provides support and direction to 3rd party site service provider on contractual matters, contract valued at $10MM/yr
- Leads the MOC process in regard to equipment changes and additions
- Acting Plant Manager during times of Plant Manager absences, including covering as primary contract manager c with month end close, and management reporting
- Routine Reviews - Ensure reliable equipment operation and search for problems that could prevent the ability to maintain capacity and support environmental requirements
- Troubleshooting- pressure surveys, temperature surveys, identifying and correcting potential problems, manage pump reliability projects and processes
- Engineering calculations- size motors, size pumps, calculate pressure drops, size piping for small projects, calculate fluid properties
- Make recommendations to management and engineering on: Following safe work practices while maintaining quality, ensuring reliable operation, making on-spec product, enhancing capacity, and increasing profitability
- Make data driven recommendations to management for issue resolution and process and site improvements
- Support turnaround/maintenance activities such as: Chemical cleaning supervision, vessel inspection, shutdown/startup coverage, including revision/development of operating procedures, sample procurement, and recommendations for maintenance (exchanger cleaning, screen/filter cleaning, etc.)
- Additional Responsibilities: Initiate and manage MOCs, lead/participate in Process Hazards Analysis, PSSR, HAZOP, LOPA, Track PHA/LOPA findings. Define and execute small (non-capital) projects, assist groups with capital project designs and installation;
- Determine best equipment and mechanical improvements to increase reliability, quality, and production
- Lead analytical projects to optimize asset performance and reduce bottlenecks. Provide data and presentation material for weekly and monthly reports
- Maintain professional relationship with LYB site operations to facilitate optimization of plant performance and projects
- Understand, support, and comply, with all plant safety policies and procedures, including the use of loss control software
- Identify activities to enhance profits and positive cash flow (currently $8MM/yr)
- Provide leadership for reliability and improvement projects in supporting the annual project budget ($3MM/yr)
CONTENT & ENVIRONMENT
Technical mechanical evaluation, plan development, implementation, and support across the unit
Potential work around: high heat, hazardous chemicals, and caustic, heavy noise
Respond to unit upsets and evaluation, plan development, implementation, and offer recommendations during off hours and holidays
Management support and teammate responsibility coverage
The basic function of the Senior Mechanical Engineer is to provide technical support to the project team,engineering, corporate, or any other group that needs unit information; also troubleshoot, monitor unit equipment performance, and provide recommendations to improve profitability and reliability of unit operations. In addition, the Sr Mechanical Engineer may represent the site in contractual matters with site 3rd parties regarding maintenance issues. The Sr Mechanical Engineer is a leading authority in maintenance documentation requirements on the site.
- Bachelor of Science, Chemical or Mechanical Engineering, and 6+ years mechanical engineering experience in the petrochemical or refining industry preferred
- Mechanical Engineering knowledge: rotating equipment, fluid flow, pressure systems, reliability
- Computer knowledge: use of Microsoft software including spreadsheets (i.e. Excel), DCS control data historians (i.e. PI Process book), and be able to understand new systems as they come (i.e. SAP)
- Good problem-solving skills: good physical fitness as job requires access on/into towers, vessels, and other equipment
- Work evenings/nights during turnarounds or other special circumstances where 24-hour technical coverage is needed.
- Interpersonal and communication skills required for interaction with every group in the facility and with vendors.
Meet The Recruiter
Christa Cantele, CPC
Sr. Direct-Hire Recruiter
Christa has over 20 + years in the staffing & talent search industry, locally and nationally. She possesses advanced skills in researching, sourcing, qualifying, and recruiting high-demand candidates.
Her experience in the full-cycle search process entails partnering with senior corporate leaders that build sound strategies for solving key hiring challenges.