Dallas, TX 75201 US
The Paralegal supports lawyers and other legal personnel in the Firm’s Technology and Life Sciences practice group.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Manage domestic and foreign prosecution for multiple clients, including drafting trademark/service mark applications, affidavits of use, maintenance and renewal documentation and correspondence to clients.
- Drafts responses to office actions issued by the USPTO.
- Communicates with and manages foreign trademark counsel and agents regarding registration, maintenance and enforcement matters.
- Monitors and maintains trademark docket for due dates for responses, maintenance filings, renewals, oppositions, cancellations and office actions.
- Orders and analyzes trademark searches and assists attorneys in compiling results from searches to provide clearance analysis.
- Conducts in-house trademark searches and assists attorneys in compiling results from searches to provide clearance analysis.
- Handles all types of filings at the USPTO and Trademark Trial and Appeal Board in order to prosecute, maintain, and enforce trademarks.
- Assists attorneys in preparing cost estimates for trademark clearances, prosecution, recordation with the USPTO and Copyright Office, and maintenance.
- Performs due diligence ownership searches on trademarks, copyrights, and domain names in connection with corporate and finance transactions, including analyzing chain of title information and preparation of appropriate assignments, IP security agreements, and releases.
- Orders file wrappers, copies of recorded assignments and security interests, and title documents recorded at government offices.
- Reviews executed IP assignments to ensure they are properly executed, notarized, stamped, witnessed, etc.
- Prepares recordation cover sheets or electronic fillings for documents to be recorded at USPTO or Copyright office.
- Arranges for legalization (by consulate or Apostille) of assignments for recording foreign trademark and patent offices.
- Prepares draft cease and desist demands and required follow-up.
- Reviews trademark watch notices, conducts initial investigation of potentially problematic references, and assists with resulting enforcement actions.
- Prepares draft of UDRP complaints and assists with filling and associated actions.
- Prepares draft copyright applications and assists with filing with Copyright Office.
- Prepares draft DMCA take down requests.
- Mentors and trains junior Paralegals as appropriate.
- Performs other work related duties as assigned or as judgment or necessity dictates.
- Minimum 5 years of focus on Intellectual Property/Trademark work, including knowledge of USPTO and TTAB rules and procedure.
- Familiarity with international trademark filing procedures and conducting due diligence reviews of Intellectual Property.
- Adept in drafting correspondence and diligence memoranda, and preparing of worldwide assignments and recordings.
Meet The Recruiter
Sr. Direct-Hire Recruiter
Regan graduated from Texas Tech University in 2003 with her Bachelor’s in Marketing. She then went to graduate school at St. Thomas University, where she received her MBA. She started working for Burnett in June 2005 in Houston.
Regan was a Senior Account Executive for five years. In this role, she was the liaison between the client and each specialty division to ensure the highest quality customer service and proven results. In 2010, Regan moved into a direct-hire recruiter role. She has been successful in filling all different types of positions for clients across several industries. In 2013, her husband’s job transferred them to Dallas, and she is now a Sr. Direct-Hire Recruiter for Choice Specialists in Dallas, Texas. She enjoys what she does and is passionate about helping candidates and companies grow!